BSBWOR502 Lead and Manage Team Effectiveness
Task 2 – Written Report and Role Play
Purpose of this Assessment task
This assessment task is designed to test your skills in leading and managing team effectiveness as required by the unit BSBWOR502 Lead and manage team effectiveness. Your trainee assessor will be assessing your work and provide you with constructive feedback on Canvas. This task will assess your skills to:
· Establish team performance plan
· Develop and facilitate team cohesion
· Facilitate teamwork
· Liaise with stakeholders.
By successfully completing this project you will provide the required performance evidence of your competence in leading and managing team effectiveness.
What are you required to do to undertake this Case Study?
You should carefully read the provided Case Study; and undertake all questions. The task includes: (i) Analysing the case (ii) Undertaking required research (iii) Role play and (iv) Reporting.
To successfully undertake this assessment, you should be doing the following:
· Read the provided Case Study couple of times and understand its requirements
· Clarify the requirements with your trainer and assessor if you are not sure
· Research appropriate websites as directed by your trainee assessor
· Upload the recorded video of Role Play used in Part B Q a if you are completing this unit online
· Discuss with your trainee assessor the contents of the report if needed.
Context and conditions of undertaking the tasks?
The prescribed tasks will be undertaken by you after carefully analyzing the case scenario. Your trainer will also provide you guidance on the websites to be researched. Your trainee assessor may also set certain conditions under which you will perform the tasks required by this assessment. For example, your trainer may set a time limit to perform a task or, ask you to repeat a task or, ask you to give additional information about the performance by asking you some have all questions or, they may prescribe you some new conditions to undertake certain tasks.
Given your personal conditions, your trainee assessor should also be able to make some reasonable adjustments in undertaking the tasks of this assessment. You should check with your trainee assessor about the conditions under which the tasks should be completed, and the possible adjustment they can make in undertaking these tasks.
What specific WHS requirements may be involved?
This assessment will require you to be aware of the standard Workplace Health and Safety requirements e.g. Workplace Health and Safety Act and Workplace Health and Safety Legislation Your trainee assessor will advise you on these and other legislative requirements.
Tasks and frequency of performance
Details of the tasks to be undertaken in this assessment are provided in the Case Study. The tasks listed in that document must be performed at least once.
The assessment may be re-attempted on two further occasions (maximum three attempts in total). All assessments must be resubmitted 3 days within receiving your unsatisfactory grade. You must clearly indicate “Re-submission” on your resubmitted work.
You must complete all questions unassisted by the assessor or other personnel but may refer to reference material as may be needed. All questions must be answered satisfactorily for the assessment to be completed satisfactorily.
For any assessment conducted that is incomplete, or without satisfactory performance, the assessment will need to be completed again after further training support. This may be simply to focus on question areas not achieved in the prior assessment.
Submitting your assessment
When you are ready to submit your assessments, upload the files within Canvas via the submission tab. It is important that you keep a copy of all electronic assessments submitted to Canvas. Please submit all assessment components. (If you are completing this unit online, you MUST upload the recorded video of Role play used in Part B).
In this assessment some of the questions include a word count. This is a guideline only, but your answers should not vary substantially (i.e. +/- 10%) from the word count provided. Microsoft Word includes a word count tool.
To test the required application skills in leading and managing team effectiveness.
Assessment Cover Sheet
I declare that:
· I have read and understood all the information provided in relation to the assessment requirements to complete this unit, the instructions and the purpose and processes of undertaking this assessment task
· This assessment is my own work and where other’s works or ideas have been borrowed, I have appropriately referenced or acknowledged them
· I understand that plagiarism is a serious offense that may lead to disciplinary action.
Task 2 – Written Report and Role Play
You need to consider that you are working in a team with two to four people (minimum three including yourself). Your task is to identify, establish and document your team’ s purpose, roles, responsibilities, goals, and objectives. You must provide details of how the plan will be monitored. Your plan must be aligned with organizational goals and objectives.
You are required to:
· Identify a goal with your designated team to meet that goal and create a plan to achieve expected team outcomes. The mechanism that will underpin the team development will be a project. In the workplace, teams commonly form around projects, complete the outcomes, and then adjourn. The difference between a successful and unsuccessful project is often team effectiveness.
· Refer to the case study in Appendix 1 to work on with your nominated team.
· Organise your team: You will need to choose two (2) or more team members to assist you and you will need to inform them of what to expect through their involvement.
· Establish, document, and agree on the team’s purpose and what the team needs and wants to achieve.
· Agree, share, and communicate roles and responsibilities within your team.
· Devise a project plan: Conduct a meeting to develop a plan with your team (take minutes of this session) including the following elements:
a. Project performance plan – includes goals and objectives, deliverables, risk assessment plan and communications and reporting plan. (Use Appendix 2). Decide with your team how you will monitor and review your plan during the project. You must decide when you will meet to review your team’s progress and what kinds of progress reports will be generated. This information should be recorded in the communications and reporting plans.
b. Tasks and resources required – you must agree with your team on the tasks that must be caries out, the resources that will be necessary and which tasks may be considered milestones. You may use any of the following templates to aid this process: “task list”, “Gantt chart”, and “milestone chart”. (Use Appendices 3, 4 and 5).
c. Team and personal work schedules – who will do the tasks and when they need to be completed. (Use Appendix d. Inform your team members that they can also create their own personal work schedules. (Use Appendix 7).
e. Skills matrix – for your team identify training needs (Use Appendix 8).
f. Training planner – for each of your team members to plan training where necessary. (Use Appendix 9).
You must be able to provide effective leadership for a team and facilitate a work team during the implementation of a team project including decision-making, resolving issues and developing team cohesion. You will need to collaborate with your team; however, you must complete each of the tasks for this assessment as individuals. This is not a team/joint assessment.
You must support team members to achieve team goals and objectives, encourage team members to take responsibility for their own work, provide feedback to team members and ensure your own contribution to the team serves as a role model.
You must also communicate information and team issues to management, ensuring follow-up action is taken.
You must hold a progress meeting and a post project review meeting with your team.
You need to implement your team’s plan as documented in Part A and support your team to achieve expected outcomes.
You are required to hold project review meeting with your team and hold a post project review meeting with the team in which you celebrate successes, identify opportunities for improvement and disband.
You are to deliver a post-project review report to management following the completion of the project as well as team effectiveness surveys and a relief reflection reviewing your success as a team leader and that of your team.
You are required to report on any issues, conflicts, or problems the team is encountering during the progress meeting (Appendix 12). You will be asked to explain how you resolved these issues.
Procedure. During project implementation, you must complete the tasks in your plan.
You are required to:
a) Hold two (2) team meetings (progress and post project review) and take minutes (Use Appendices 10 & 11). During these meetings you must review your team’s performance and give your team members feedback on their performance.
b) Establish a reward and recognition system for the project which applies for all team members.
c) Plan a training session with your team to address issues identified in their training planners and develop a procedure to assist others undertaking required roles. Record details of the training session in your minutes.
d) Record issues and collective action taken in a Project Issues log (Use Appendix 12).
e) Based on your team’s feedback on performance, raise your concerns and communicate to your team to ensure necessary action is taken.
f) You should communicate to management any unresolved issues, concerns and problems raised by the team, preferably during a team meeting and take minutes documenting this communication. (Use Appendix 13).
· If you are completing this unit face to face: your fellow students can be selected as team members.
· If you are completing this unit online: you can choose your friends, family members, other students, or work colleagues to form such a team of which you are a member to complete this assignment. (You MUST video record and upload into Canvas the role play consisting of the two (2) meetings conducted in ‘Part B Q a’).
Finish the project by the planned deadline.
Evaluate your team’s success. Identify the goals and objectives achieved and those not achieved. Discuss why you did not achieve the targets.